Manistee/Grand Rapids – Jay Fortier (Bass, guitar, pedal steel, vocals) Al Swanson (Keyboard, guitar, banjo, vocals) Monte Klein (Guitar, bass, harmonica, vocals) Larry Foster (Drums)
Wooden Nickel – Manistee/Grand Rapids (1976 – present)
Wooden Nickel began as a loosely (un)organized reunion of three “Band X” members and a couple of other friends to play a few events in Manistee in the mid 70’s. It took on a life of its own, and through many personnel and location changes, it is still going!
A Wooden Nickel gig is, and has always been, a good-time event. Musical influences range all over the place…classic rock, country & country rock, 50’s & rockabilly, electric bluegrass, folk songs, polkas, party songs and standards from several decades…there are truly no boundaries, and no rehearsals! It is a blank slate, spontaneous and incredibly fun for players and listeners alike.
Members along the way have included (in no particular order):
- Ed Gilbert – (Bass, guitar, vocals)
- O.B. Fearnow – Guitar, vocals)
- Steve Libby – (Drums)
- Bob Doleys – (Drums)
- Dan Hansen (RIP) – Guitar, cornet, flute, vocals)
- Roger Tarczon – Drums)
- Tom Jagmin – Guitar, vocals)
- Wayne Ferrari – (Organ, bass pedals, keyboard, vocals)
- Roger Harcourt – (Guitar, vocals)
- Howard Wilson – (Guitar, vocals)