3965 West River Dr. Comstock Park, Mi. (616) 784-9886 (aka Riverside Hotel)
The oldest bar in GR, Nick Fink’s was originally built in 1888 by Nick Fink, an immigrant from Prussia. It was originally named The Riversite Hotel, and has operated as a bar, hotel, barber shop, post office, and supposedly a brothel. An in-depth collection of photos and items for Nick Fink’s can be found at the Grand Rapids Public Museum. This includes a photo of a former owner flying off the roof in a bike, fitted with box-kite wings (he crashed into a telegraph pole and broke his arm). Ownership of Nick Fink’s transferred within the Fink family from Nick Fink II (the first person in Kent County to fly) all the way down to Nick Fink IV. The Gilmore Collection purchased Nick Fink’s in 2008.
Below is a 1907 Kent County Atlas that shows Mrs. Nick Fink having a Livery and Riversite Hotel at this location: (Then click on map to enlarge it)
Like many bar stories, one about Hemingway just untrue
Comstock Park – Facebook Group: